Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild purchased the land at Waddesdon, in the heart of Buckinghamshire, England, in 1874. The Manor, completed in 1885, was designed as a French Renaissance style château.
Here in the countryside, just an hour from London, the Baron hosted fashionable friends, entertaining them lavishly and proudly displaying his art treasures.
Waddesdon Manor houses one of the outstanding collections of French decorative arts and British portraits of the 18th century, uniquely still in the building it was collected to furnish.
The Manor is set in over 20,000 dunams of parkland (5000 acres) including manicured gardens. It is one of England’s best examples of late Victorian horticultural style.
Waddesdon was given to the National Trust by James (whose parents are buried at Ramat Hanadiv), his wife Dorothy de Rothschild was the first chair of Waddesdon management committee which opened the Manor to the public
in 1959. When she died in 1988, responsibility for the management of the estate was passed on to Jacob, the third Lord Rothschild.He served as chairman of the Rothschild Foundation, the family charitable trust which supports Waddesdon Manor and other art and heritage, environment, education and social welfare organizations. After 36 years tenure, his daughter Hannah assumed leadership of the Rothschild Foundation in 2019
You can visit the estate online at: Waddesdon.org.uk
Of further interest...
Memorial Gardens Main Entrance
The main entrance to the Memorial Gardens – located next to the Visitors Pavilion. In the entrance plaza are temporary exhibitions on a range of subjects promoted by Ramat Hanadiv
The Footprint Garden
The term ‘ecological footprint’ is taking shape in the western part of the Visitors Pavilion. A large gardening plot shaped like a foot lies in the middle of the area, with the heel pointing north, and the five toes, as one unit – to the south.