Establishment of Yad Hanadiv
Yad Hanadiv is the foundation charged with continuing the Rothschild family’s philanthropic tradition in Israel. Created in 1958, it seeks innovative opportunities to address the needs of Israeli society. It carries forward the legacy of support for Jewish revival in Palestine begun by Baron Edmond de Rothschild in the second half of the 19th century. Among the foundation’s major project over the years were the buildings of the Israeli Parliament (Knesset) and Supreme Court; establishment of the Centre for Educational Technology; the Israel Institute for Advanced Studies at The Hebrew University; Educational Television; the Rothschild Fellowships and Prizes; the Jerusalem Music Centre; Israel’s Open University; the Manof Residential Youth Village; the Environment and Health Fund; and Avney Rosha-The Institute for School Leadership.
The foundation concentrates on the fields of education, environment, academic excellence, and Arab society. It also supports the activities of the Nature Park and Memorial Gardens at Ramat Hanadiv, and is currently cooperating with the National Library in its renewal progamme, including the construction of a state-of-the-art building appropriate for the library in the 21st century