The Fragrance Garden was established in 1985 for the benefit of visually impaired visitors, as well as the general public, on the basis of a proposal made by Lady James De-Rothschild (Dorothy Pinto, 1895-1988, Founder of the Rothschild-Yad Hanadiv Fund). The garden was planned by the Miller-Blum agency to stimulate the senses of scent, touch and hearing, rather than visitors’ sense of sight.
In a raised garden-bed encircling the garden, spice and fragrance plants grow side-by-side with plants that stimulate the sense of touch.
A guidance rail installed on the garden-bed’s supporting wall is embedded with descriptive Latin, Hebrew and Arabic tags in Braille.
A round pool with a fountain is encircled by a wooden pergola, which provides shade and coverage for benches. A Rangoon Creeper (Quisqualis Indica) grows on the pergola and provides visitors during summertime with both shade and intoxicating fragrance.