The Baron's third visit to Eretz Israel began on 25 January 1899 when his boat docked at the port of Jaffa. On his arrival in Rishon le-Zion, he tasted the wine at the winery and informed the farmers that henceforth they would be on their own. He then continued to Petach Tikva, making a short stop in Jerusalem before going on to Zikhron Ya'akov. Here, too, the Baron hinted to the farmers that they would soon become independent. He made it clear that, in his opinion, the settlers should be involved only in agriculture, not in trade or in real estate deals. This visit aroused both joy and fear among Zikhron's residents and apparently strengthened the Baron's conviction that a change was due. He returned home early and somewhat bitter, and this seems to have been one of the reasons for the subsequent alterations in the administration of the colonies and the support they received. In a move that astonished the Yishuv, Baron de Rothschild transferred responsibility for his colonies in Eretz Israel to the ICA (Jewish Colonisation Association) at the start of the new century: 1 January 1900. However, those who had followed his visit in the winter of 1899 and listened to his words had suspected the changes that were taking place in him.