The excavations at Ramat Hanadiv, under the direction of the late Prof. Yizhar Hirschfeld, began in the summer of 1984 and continued until 1988. The first seasons, on behalf of the Institute of Archaeology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, focused on uncovering the remains of a Byzantine villa and a large Roman villa from the Early Roman period at Horvat ‘Aqav, high up on the tip of the western cliff at Ramat Hanadiv. In the report by Conder and Kitchener (1873), who surveyed the area on behalf of the Palestine Exploration Fund, the writers describe vaulted buildings on the site. During the excavation seasons led by Prof. Hirschfeld, remnants of a large villa from the Roman period were found, along with adjacent agricultural installations. A second settlement stratum revealed a Byzantine villa. Excavations also revealed evidence of cultic activity from the Persian–Hellenistic periods as well as remains from a non-permanent encampment from the Mamluk period. The site was restored and opened to visitors in 1988. Results from the excavations have been published in a series of articles and in a detailed report in English, published in 2000.