• العربية
  • Eng
  • עברית
Facebook
  • Turn Off Accessibility tools
  • Accessibility statement

    Accessibility statement

    We want everyone who visits the Ramat Hanadiv website to feel welcome and find the experience rewarding.

    What are we doing?

    To help us make the Ramat Hanadiv website a positive place for everyone, we've been using the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0. These guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities, and user friendly for everyone.

    The guidelines have three levels of accessibility (A, AA and AAA). We’ve chosen Level AA as the target for the Ramat Hanadiv website.

    How are we doing?

    We've worked hard on the Ramat Hanadiv website and believe we've achieved our goal of Level AA accessibility. We monitor the website regularly to maintain this, but if you do find any problems, please get in touch.

    This accessibility statement was generated on 7th August 2014 using the Accessibility Statement Generator.

  • C C C
  • Keyboard Navigation
    You may skip between the website elements using the "TAB" key, Activate a link or button using the "Enter" key, Skip back to the previous element using the combination of SHIFT+TAB

Garden History

On his fourth visit to the Land of Israel in February of 1914, Baron Edmond de Rothschild toured the southern end of the Carmel hills and expressed his desire to be buried ‘in the rock’. His Will included specific instructions that he be buried in what was then called Palestine. Baron de Rothschild passed away on 30th November 1934 in his chateau, Boulogne-sur-Seine, in France. Both the Baron and his wife, Adelheid, who passed away on 29th December, 1935, were temporarily laid to rest in the Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris.
 
In 1936, Mr. James de Rothschild initiated the establishment of the gardens in their present form, as a natural memorial to his parents. The hill known as Umm-el-Aleq was selected for the Gardens, due to its attractive location and its dominant position overlooking the Rothschild settlements of the Samarian plain to the east and the Mediterranean coast to the west.
 
Fourteen of Israel’s leading architects were invited to submit designs for the memorial. They were challenged to design 
a simple, dignified crypt, hewn from the rock and surrounded by a beautiful garden and park, where flowers would be in bloom at all times of the year. The design submitted by Uriel (Otto) Schiller was selected, and landscape architect Shlomo Weinberg (Oren) was chosen to plan the Gardens.
Work on the Memorial Gardens commenced in 1938, but wartime conditions prevented any significant progress. Following the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, plans were finalized and efforts were resumed.
The Israeli construction firm Solel Boneh was hired as the main contractor. Only Israeli stone and building materials were used. The statuary in the Gardens was designed by Rhoda and Israel Traub.
 
The Gardens were completed in 1954, and arrangements were made for the reinterment of the Baron and Baroness. 
As required by Israeli law, the name of the memorial site was changed from Umm-el-Aleq to Ramat Hanadiv, or ‘the plateau of the Benefactor’.
 

Useful Information

Opening Hours

Sun-Fri: 08:00-16:00
Sat: 08:00-16:00

Contact Us

Ramat Hanadiv
P.O.B 325
Zichron Ya'akov
3095202
Phone: 04-6298111
info@ramathanadiv.org.il

Directions

The entrance to Ramat Hanadiv..

Be the first to know!

Subscribe now to Ramat Hanadiv's newsletter
Be the first to know!
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date
Cancel